Vale Royal AC - Senior Section

Running and Athletics in the Heart of Cheshire.

Message Board

Forum Home > Racing > Gravy Pud Fell Race

Tony Archer

Here's John Allton's full report of his his days experience at this interesting fell race.

11am, 7th Dec. Gravy Pud Fell Race, Tintwistle, Derbyshire.

5 miles, 305m ascent. Entry £5

Grade BS B=medium grade

terrain, S=short

A wet morning for 155 runners in North West Derbyshire for the annual Gravy Pud Fell Race. Registration in the village pub which doubled up as the changing rooms, toilets and cafe. Registration is usually possible on race day but for the popular races its worth considering registering in advance, especially when travelling an hour each way!

After the usual safety briefing we were off. The route was marked throughout supplemented with marshals at key points and even a tail runner. After a short section of cobbles and tarmac the route quickly turned uphill and off road, soft and wet underfoot. As the rain stopped the severity of the climbing slowed the field with hands being used initially on knees and then on the fellside to provide traction up Lees Hill (356m). Once the summit was reached the speed picked up as the route tapered downhill on wet and boggy ground, across undulating fields and woodland paths. Back onto the cobbles for a fast downhill finish.

Back to the pub for a couple of free brews and the usual fayre. Prizes for lots of categories.

Came in 52nd out of 155, 45 mins 13 secs, 11th in category. Happy with that as the field looked good. Quite a few "young bucks" with some of the big fell running clubs represented, ambleside, keswick, dark peak, glossopdale, ribble valley, saddleworth, staffordshire moorlands, horwich, macclesfield. Even Cheshire Hill runners, did not know they existed!

If I can come in 31st and 52nd in my 2nd and 3rd fell races then some of you guys could be competing for a placing. If anyone wants to join me for a race next year let me know. The short races are usually well marked and you don't have to carry kit, its your choice, most don't. This is mandatory for the longer / more difficult terrain races. If anyone is interested but has reservations I am happy to run around with you (as long as I can keep up with you). Try it once, treat it as a training run. Nothing ventured........ It would be good to have more Vale Royal vests on the start line.

December 7, 2014 at 3:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex Mason

Nice one John!

Hope to see you about at a fell race soon, although I only dabble in them.

Next one is Cloud9 but they class that as a hill race which is probably about right.

--

Roads, where we're going we don't need roads...

December 8, 2014 at 4:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

James Ainsworth

Anybody seen Dave Philips ? He's the resident Fell runner....

December 8, 2014 at 5:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.